Cameroon’s Telecommunications Company, Camtel, has devoted Wednesdays to the use, by all, of the second official language in the country.
The Day dub “Bilingualism Day” was launched Wednesday May 12, 2021 in Yaoundé by the General Manager of Camtel, Judith Yah Sunday Epse Achidi.
Speaking on the occassion, the GM disclosed that the initiative is to encourage the staff to actively participate in Bilingualism.
“Every Wednesday, English speaking staff will speak French language while French speaking staff will speak English language.” She said adding that;
“The promotion of Bilingualism is a long standing tradition at Camtel.”
To buttress her statement, Judith Yah Sunday Epse Achidi, presented how the company is promoting Bilingualism. She cited;
– The bilingual online portal of the company which carries “Camtel Gazette”.
– The bilingual News Magazine of the company dub “Camtel Today”.
– The bilingual weekly radio show of the company dub “Camtel Actu.”
– The recently created Translation, Interpretation, and Bilingualism Promotion unit of the company.
With the official launching of the Bilingualism Day at Camtel, many other incentives have been earmarked to accompany the staff grow their level of Bilingualism.
Two basic examples were presented by the General Manager.
1) An in-house Bilingualism competition where two (2) best staff would be awarded after every four months.
2) The signing of contracts with some language centres in the country to the benefit of the staff.
Worth noting is the fact that the launching of the Bilingualism Day, at Camtel came shortly after the celebration of the 2021 edition of the Bilingualism Day in Cameroon which held on the theme “Bilingualism, an essential tool for an inclusive, quality and resilient education”.
The General Manager of Camtel seized the occassion to laud the efforts of the chair of the National Bilingualism Commission, Peter Mafany Musonge, in working for the success of both languages recognized by the constitution of the Republic.